Intimacy Coordinator and lecturer at the University for Creative Arts, Pia Rickman, is one of a small but growing number of Intimacy Coordinators in UK. Pia’s prior on-set experience as an assistant director and production manager, and her current position as a lecturer of acting, gives Pia a unique angle on intimacy coordination both within education and the industry. Originally from Finland, Pia introduced intimacy coordination to Finland in August 2019 as the country’s first intimacy coordinator. Pia meets the expertise, training and experience as well as the additional requirements as outlined by SAG-AFTRA’s Standards and Protocols for the Use of Intimacy Coordinators.
She has worked across a range of screen productions in Europe including What Remains, Girl Picture (Sundance Audience Award Winner 2022), The Chelsea Cowboy, and a multiple (7) Jussi-Awards winner in Finland, a biopic feature film Tove (2020). Over the course of her career, Pia has held workshops and presentations about the subject in the UK and internationally and she has contributed to the Finnish Film Foundation’s Guidelines on working with intimate scenes. Pia has co-founded Nordic Intimacy Coordinators and founded the Intimacy Practitioners’ Guild (IPG) Europe alongside fellow industry professionals. Pia is currently collaborating with BECTU in the developing of new Union standards for IC profession in the UK.
“I fell in love with the magic of film making in 2001 while I was working on a film set in Finland for the first time. I have since worked extensively in feature films, commercials and TV drama series as an assistant director, and later as a production manager. I initially trained as a director at Drama Centre, Central St. Martins, where alumni include Michael Fassbender, Tom Hardy, Anne-Marie Duff and Colin Firth. After six years in Finland, I moved back to London in 2014 to pursue a specialisation in actor training and coaching at Royal Central School of Speech and Drama.
I’m at my happiest when working with actors and directors, and exploring together the wonderful world of the screenplay, and how to bring the intentions on the paper alive.”
Pia’s visiting lecturer positions include work as an
- Intimacy educator & screen specialist at London Film School
- Acting tutor at St Mary’s University in Twickenham
- Acting tutor at ICAT London
- Acting/ Directing tutor at London College of Communication UAL
- Acting tutor at Arts Educational Schools London
- Acting tutor at Identity School of Acting
- Acting/ Directing tutor at London Film Academy
- Acting tutor at Rose Bruford College of Theatre and Performance
- Acting tutor at Tampere University/ Theatre Arts NÄTY, Finland
- Acting/ Directing tutor at ELO Film School in Helsinki, Finland
- Acting tutor at Helsinki Theatre Academy TEAK, Finland
Full CV available upon your request.
LANGUAGES: English, Finnish (fluent, native) Swedish (conversational).
Pia is able to work across UK and EU.